- On-Line Shop
- Where to Buy
- Contact Us
Charles has saved and restored a number of original artefacts from Gloucestershire's agricultural heritage including wagons and ploughs.
There are a number of wagons at the farm including this beautiful wagon which was built by Mr Shipway of Horton, Gloucestershire for John Hawker in about 1850. In summer it was used for bringing in hay and sheaves of corn to the barn. In autumn it carried cider fruit and perry pears to the mill. Note the low mid-sides for tipping the kypes (baskets) of fruit. The floor is long boarded for ease of shovelling the fruit or any other loose load like stone or grain.
This type of wagon, now very rare, was and is, held in great pride by its owners and was used for family occasions such as weddings and funerals as well as for work. This beautiful old wagon has been in the Martell family for over 45 years. It is still put to its traditional uses when it may be pulled by a team of horses or working oxen. Most recently it was used to transport children in Dymock Carnival to celebrate Her Majesty's Diamond Jubilee.
Another icon of rural Gloucestershire. The design of the Gloucestershire Long Plough is medieval and depictions of this general design of plough are to be found in illuminated manuscripts and carved in churches. Its extraordinary survival into the 20th century is possibly due to its mouldboard which turns over the soil. This mouldboard is made of pear wood and it sheds sticky clay soil better than steel. We have used this plough with a team of Old Gloucester oxen, and most recently at the Trumpet Ploughing Match when 70 children from Ann Cam Primary School in Dymock ploughed a furrow!
Charles has written a paper on the Gloucestershire Long Plough and you can download it here